Tuesday, April 3, 2012

E mail is great.  Face Book is fantastic, and Blogs are brimming with tidbits that bring us closer together. 
BUT...
Remember when letters came in the MAIL?  When you looked forward to checking the mail box?  The summer after high school graduation I corresponded with my senior crush who was with the National Guard in Georgia.  I practically camped out at the mail box! I have love letters from previous loves, lost loves & ex husbands.

After marriage, letters from my Mom and my older sister Wanda came the most often, and I recall the warm feelings that flooded over me as I read their familiar handwriting telling of common, everyday events of their lives.
There is something special about holding a handwritten letter in your hands and re-living moments of the past.
But, alas, that seems to be a lost art.  Too infrequently do we take the time to write letters.

Today was JUNK MAIL day.
Yuck!  That and a bill, and well, just non-eventful stuff.
Nothing to get excited about or to treasure!
...sigh.

2 comments:

Bev said...

Awww...this is tender!! I can still see your Momma's and Wanda's handwriting...they were both so good to send birthday cards and just a little bit of LOVE through the mail....and I love the purple ribbon...that says love from Paula!
How special to still have love letters from the other loves in your life....sweet memories!

Sassy said...

I for one am so sad that the art of letter writing is becoming lost......I have kept the letters I have received too......they are precious.....plus I love handwriting....everyone's different handwriting....it is personal and not had the electronic checkers check it....hahaha I use to just draw a line through my misspelled word hahaha and I spelled out the whole word...not abbreviate it into two or three letters....I AM SAD ABOUT NOT GETTING LETTERS.....I miss having penpals...hahaha but because of blogging I have made many dear friends like you that would never have happened without the internet.....hmmmm it sounds like I just can't be happy.....maybe it's time for bed...LOL