Thursday, January 19, 2012

I HEART EGGS & TOAST!

Nearly every morning I have a couple of eggs and a slice or two of toast on one of my previously mentioned precious childhood pink plates!
For the past few months my little (however very tall) brother has been bringing me eggs laid by his chickens.

~~ mmmmm ~~
THANKS, LYLE!
They have soooo much more flavor than store bought eggs.
We always had fresh eggs when I was growing up.
I remember my mom's chicken coop with a big wooden Mobile oil Pegasus  on one side of the chicken wire enclosure.
I don't know why.  I think my dad had worked at a gas station at one time.
Anyway, I remember that big red horse and loved it!
We had laying chickens at the farm, too.  I hated gathering eggs ~ had a big fear of them (the chickens - not the eggs) attacking me.
Mom & dad had chickens when they lived in Littlefield.  Once, they had given us some eggs as we were headed back to Meadow.  We put them in the back seat.  Well, I went to sleep at the wheel and rolled the car.  Jay had some cracked ribs, Todd had a couple of bruises, and I had a concussion, a bad cut above my eye, a forehead that looked like a neanderthal, some cracked ribs and some nasty gashes on my leg.  People actually stopped at the place where they took our car and thought we had all died.  All those smashed eggs along with all my blood really made for a gruesome scene!
When Jay & I lived in Meadow, we decided to raise chickens.  Well,  he didn't have a clue, so guess who ended up being the caretaker ~ duh.
I learned to love those chickens, and certainly enjoyed the fresh eggs every day!

2 comments:

Sassy said...

I love chicken eggs so much more than store eggs....they are delish!!! Love the pic of the toast with the heart...so cute! Your accident sounded like it was very scary.....I love chickens and would love a really cute chicken coop in my back yard.....they ARE a good thing for sure!!!

Bev said...

Hoke and Diane have chickens...and good eggs too!! I remember going to your Mom's house and there would always be a few peices of left over toast left on the saucer on the counter and I would have one.....what a sweet memory!!