Thursday, February 26, 2009

OUTSIDE THE BOX FOR NOW


I attended a fabulous free concert at the historic tabernacle downtown last night. I am amazed at the quality and amount of local talent our small town has. My friend (and visiting teacher) has been wanting me to go hear her son sing at various events for some time. Well, I needed some culture and I hadn't been in the tabernacle for a long while. This is the same building where as a young woman I attended stake conferences sitting in the balcony where I could view the entire congregation to see who was there that I might know , and it is where my high school graduation took place. It now has daily tours, and every Wednesday night and Saturday afternoon hosts a free program of music or lecture. When I entered the room last night I thought I was in a box of Q-tips! No kidding! The pews were filled with white haired little old ladies and gentlemen. Neatly packed in tight little rows. Not sure if they really like the music or came because it is free... It was, indeed a sight to see. During one of the arias performed by my friend's tenor son, the gentleman seated directly in front of me turned off his hearing aid! He must have been there for the free part. Well, the program consisted of an exceptionally talented high school aged violinist with a great personality, his white haired accompanist, the tenor (who made me think of Pavarotti - voice quality NOT size), a pianist, a soprano and a baritone. With a variety of show tunes, spiritual, and opera it truly lifted my spirits, nurtured my soul and made me joyous. Yes, I wept, too. Duh. It is me we're talking about here. The music definitely moved me! Will I go again? -- I certainly will! I almost blend in with the rest of the box!

No comments: