Wednesday, February 18, 2009

THE ERRANDS OF ANGELS


"MY SISTER'S HANDS"
by Sally DeFord

My sister's hands are fair and white;
my sister's hands are dark
My sister's hands are touched with age,
or by the years unmarked
And often when I pray for strength to live as He commands
The Father sends me sustenance in my sister's hands

My sister's hands are lined and worn with burdens of their own
And yet I know that should I mourn, I need not weep alone
For often as I seek His grace to lighten life's demands
The Father sends me solace borne in my sister's hands

My sister's hands: compassion's tools that teach my own their art
Witnesses of charity within the human heart
Bearers of the Savior's love and mercy unto man
I have felt the Master's touch in my sister's hands
Church Music Contest: Relief Society Division - Award of Distinction 1993
I attended our stake Relief Society program for visiting teachers last night and was so touched by this song. Yes, I cried. I wept through the entire meeting. Big suprise. There were some beautiful testimonies borne and stories of service above and beyond. But, even though I love my visiting teachers and think of them as angels at times, I couldn't help but think of my own wonderful, blood-on, fully related sisters and the examples all four have been in my life. I know they got their compassion, willingness to work and tender thoughtfulness from our MOM. I don't have to look far for my angels...

3 comments:

Bev said...

Very nice. I can see why you'd cry....I would too. I'm going to give a copy of this to our Relief Society President....she's really pushing VT right now! Love it!

Becca said...

Such a sweet poem! You are all so lucky to have each other and I think you deserve each other. lol I miss you so much! My mom and I need to plan a trip to come see all of you. haylee is getting so big and such a cutie! Love you and Miss you!! By the way we have a blog too. Its bobbymartinfamily.blogspot.com

the duchess said...

VT is very important. If only we all felt that way about it. XOXO