Monday, June 15, 2009

Been There / Done That - or - Take This Job ...

Been thinking a lot lately of what employable skills I have. When you are way past the age of first jobs and leaning in the direction of a rocking chair, it's kinda' hard to brush off your resume, as the layers of dust could start a coughing fit - which leads to other age related and possibly embarrassing activities. Nonetheless, I found myself reminiscing on the various jobs I've held over my lifespan.

I do recall the jobs at home as a child - setting & clearing the table, drying dishes, emptying the wastebaskets, shaking the rugs, sweeping the porches & carport, and dusting. I had a love/hate thing about dusting. All those little knick-knacks! Yet, all those little knick-knacks and I had quite the relationship going after years of our Saturday morning get- togethers with the dust rag! I was especially fond of the stuff on the mantle and of the treasures on my mother's dresser. Just touching her things was magical.

Helping to plant corn, feed calves, straighten bent nails, drive tractor, load hay, herd cows - those were the kinds of jobs my dad had me do.

Babysitting - another love/hate job! I made so many paper airplanes for a family of little boys, that I got to be rather adept at it. Trying to stay awake 'til the kids parents returned was so hard for a 12 yr. old. When I was older, I kept the kids quiet by having them pose for charcoal portraits, and when the parents saw them on their return, they would purchase them for their family room walls. Quiet kids - more pay!

I remember harvesting pecans - I wasn't very old, and can't quite remember where it was exactly, but think it was with my Grandad Lofgreen at uncle Sheck's pecan grove. I also remember picking cotton, and how sore my fingers got!

I wanted a job when I was in high school, but dad wouldn't let me get one - probably because he needed my help at the farm. But I did get my first real job cleaning the Southern Motel to help pay for going to Dixie College. I was working there when I met my first husband Bill. I had to walk by his house every day on my way to and from the motel. Later he was to say he didn't recognize me without a broom in my hand or my hands in a toilet! Charming! He wouldn't let me work after we married, but while he was overseas, I got a job as a cashier in The Market Basket - a tiny, corner, neighborhood grocery store. I had tons of fun working there. He made me quit when he got home.

After my divorce from Bill, I was a working single mother. I had no car and walked to and from my job at Mel's Bakery every day. Best shape I've been in my entire life! I was a cashier, kept the cases full of pastries, sliced and bagged bread, kept finger prints off the glass cases, and could have a brownie any time I wanted! Life was good! I was working there when I met my second husband, Jay. We moved to Meadow, and I got a job as a seamstress in a clothing factory in Fillmore. I was trained on various different machines - top stitching, serging, buttonholer, and hemming -that's where I really got proficient! We were paid by the piece, and I got really fassssst on hemming tank tops. Made some good money there. When we moved back to St. George I got a job at the sleeping bag/tent factory sewing zippers in sleeping bags. Not nearly as easy as working on women's clothing! I got the opportunity to take classes to get a real estate salesman license and when I passed the test, I quit my job at the sewing machine! WeeHaw! Trouble was, I was terrified - didn't know the first thing about selling real estate, so got a job cleaning condos in Bloomington. I made some good tips there - seems I could make faucets shine like no other! Finally got my nerve and went to work as a real estate sales counselor. That was in 1979 - other than switching companies a few times and becoming a broker - I'm still at it!

I have to say my favorite and most loved job is being a
Mother and Gramma!
I think this is where my skills are! Who needs a resume for that?!

4 comments:

Becca said...

Wow that was a very imformative post.I just learned alot about you. I am assuming you are going to the reunion. Maybe ill see you there. Love you!!

Paula said...

Love you, too, Becca! Which reunion?

Bev said...

Finally, a word or two from you! I was beginning to get worried.
Becca, you must mean the Lofgreen reunion, right? I'll be there too.
I remember a few of those jobs you had but I must agree, Mom and Grandma are by far the best! You're the BEST too!! ♥ you!!!!

the duchess said...

You've certainly worn a lot of hats, lady! Isn't it interesting to see what we learn along the way.