Sunday, November 8, 2009

Blast From The Past!

Almost daily I experience the warm memories of my childhood in our little white frame home - you know the one - with the white picket fence and fragrant colorful flowers lovingly tended by my mom's hands. More specifically I hear the voices of my siblings and my mother gathered round the kitchen table. That soothing background noise for all our meals. That table had some miraculous meals served on it. I am so amazed that Mom could feed herself and four kids with one can of tuna, or one can of soup. I remember fried okra - still a treat to me - salmon patties, scalloped potatoes, cakes, raisin filled cookies (sure could love one of those right now!) and even frog legs at least one time. But the dishes that some of those meals were served on grace my table today!
These are the only two left (pictured above) that I was blessed with out of I-don't know-how-many. I recall eating fried eggs off these plates and thinking how the white spots were egg left on the plate. Almost every morning I now eat eggs on one of these plates and think the same thing. Of course I love eating desert from them!
I wish I knew their history. Were they from a box of detergent? I do know mom got some dishes from detergent, green stamps, the service station and such. Did she pick them up from a family member, or were they a wedding gift? O, how I wish I had asked her! They are beautiful! Small plates with large simple brush strokes that form a beautiful flower... but more than that they bring a rush from the past of blissful childhood memories! I simply adore them!

4 comments:

Bev said...

Oh.......it was so worth the wait! Every time you write it takes me right back to that time and place and I can see and hear your sweet Mom. You have many fond memories and I love it when you share them with us!!!

Hope to see you in a few days. I hope Beth can come too! I mentioned it to Nel.......she's mucho excited!!

Blog again soon.......PLEASE!

Becca said...

YAY youre back with your writings that paint the best pictures in my head!! Love you!!

Salvage Chic Lady said...

Hi Paula, I remember visiting at your mothers house with Hoke early on in our marriage. I assume it's the same house, anyway, I think your mom was great, how cool to have those plates to bring back memories!

the duchess said...

How cool and what great stories they could tell, too.